Wednesday, January 22, 2025

Jeremiah 15

The Lord had reached His end with Jerusalem. He said He did not care if Moses or Samuel pleaded for the people, He would not relent. He wanted them out of His sight. He told Jeremiah to tell them they can die by sword, famine, or captivity. 

God had appointed four forms of destruction for them: a sword, dogs, birds, and beasts, all forms to devour and destroy. This was because of Manasseh, king of Judah, for what he done to Jerusalem.

The Lord said: "I am weary of relenting!"

Then Jeremiah felt dejected and self-pity that he was ever born. Everyone hated him. 

God reassured Jeremiah that he will be preserved with a remnant, and the enemy will be kind to him. 

Jeremiah reminded God that he had been persecuted for God's sake; he loved God's word. 

Your words were found, and I ate them, and Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; for I am called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts. 

But Jeremiah continued to lament in self-pity, and God reminded him to stop feeling sorry for himself and he will be as God's mouthpiece. And let the people come to him...do not compromise! He reassured Jeremiah once more that He will build him up against the people and they shall not overtake him. Furthermore, God told Jeremiah,

For I am with you to save you and deliver you....I will deliver you from the hand of the wicked, and I will redeem you from the grip of the terrible. 

COMMENTARY 

Obviously, Jeremiah does not come with a popular message to the people. King Jehoiakim did not like him. Thus, Jeremiah wallowed in self-pity, which is easy to do. "Woe is me!" He did everything right, that he was supposed to do, but no one liked him.

He loved the word of God. When it was found in the temple, he digested it and it became part of him. Even today, Christians need to get into the word of God and digest it so that it becomes part of us. 

Nonetheless, Jeremiah's life is in danger, and he knew it; but so did God. And God reassured Jeremiah to just stay on track, and He will take care of him. 

image by Dwelling in the Word


 

No comments:

Post a Comment