Friday, February 14, 2025

Jeremiah 32

 God is awesome! 

It was the tenth year of Zedekiah, king of Judah, and Jeremiah was sitting in jail, thanks to Zedekiah. Meanwhile, the king of Babylon was outside the doors of Jerusalem, and Zedekiah questioned why Jeremiah continued prophesying the Chaldeans were going to sack the city.

And yet, God told Jeremiah to purchase land from a relative. Jeremiah obeyed but questioned God's timing, when he believed the LORD that the Babylonians were about to take the city. Jeremiah prayed:

Ah, Lord God! You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power...there is nothing too hard for You. You show lovingkindness...and repay the iniquity...You are great in counsel and mighty in work, for Your eyes are open to all the ways of the sons of men...You have brought Your people Israel out of the land of Egypt...You have given them this land...And they came in and took possession of it, but they have not obeyed Your voice...therefore, You have caused all this calamity to come upon them. 

What You have spoken has happened...And You have said to me, O Lord God, "Buy the field for money, and take witnesses!" - yet the city has been given into the hand of the Chaldeans. 

The Lord then answered Jeremiah:

Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?...Behold, I will give this city into the hand of the Chaldeans...

Behold, I will gather them out of all countries where I have driven them in My anger,...and I will cause them to dwell safely. They shall be My people, and I will be their God; then I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear Me forever...And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from doing them good; but I will put My fear in their hearts so that they will not depart from Me. Yes, I will rejoice over them to do them good, and I will assuredly plant them in this land, with all My heart and with all My soul.  

Just as I have brought all this great calamity on this people, so I will bring on them all the good that I have promised them. 

The Lord assured Jeremiah that men will buy land with money and take witnesses again, "for I will cause their captives to return." 

COMMENTARY

Jeremiah wanted to understand why the Lord had him purchase land at this particular time? He trusted God, and therefore, he brought his genuine questions to Him. There is nothing wrong with asking God the questions on your heart. He wants us to be honest like Jeremiah. Take it to the Lord in prayer. Nothing is too hard for Him, and He will encourage us. 

As for Israel...there is a day coming when the Lord will restore the people to the land and to fellowship with Him. 

credit: DailyVerses.net


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment